A warming but lightish soup fit for all seasons…1kg carrots (little ones or organic/market i suggest as they’ll have more flavour)
2 medium potatoes
1 brown onion
1 large leek
3cm chunk of fresh ginger
3 large cloves of garlic
2cm chunk of fresh tumeric (optional)
1 tsp of ground ginger
2 cups white wine (dry)
salt & pepper to taste
– Sautee finely sliced onion & leeks in olive oil, on a medium heat
– Add finely chopped garlic, ginger & tumeric (or use a mortar & pestle if you have one!)
– Cook till softened, Add ground ginger, frying till fragrant, but don’t let the mix brown.
– Add wine & chopped carrots, & let reduce (about 10 mins)
– Add cubed potatoes & good few pinches of salt, top with water to cover vegetables
– Cover with lid on a gentle boil until all vegetables are very soft (& liquid has reduced a bit)
– Blend the mixture till smooth, returning to pot on a low heat
– Season to taste, with plenty of salt & cracked pepper, if it’s too thick add some water, if it’s too think let in continue cooking to reduce.
This is vegan so far but you could add some cream if you desire, and/or serve with sour cream.