There are plenty of recipes online for this delicious Japanese dish…
All varying slightly of course, so i’ll let you choose one on your own if you feel the need for measurement etc.
But as an overview, it goes a little something like this…
– Eggplant halves, pan fried on the cut side for a few minutes until brown.
– Score flesh & bake or grill till flesh is soft.
– Smear the Miso mixture (white miso paste, mirin or sake, japanese rice wine vinegar, sesame oil, sugar, water, ginger optional) liberally onto the cut side of the eggplants.
– Top with black & white sesame seeds and place under the grill for a few minutes, letting the sticky sweet miso mixture bubble & caramelize!
– Garnish with some finely sliced spring onions!
If you require it to be 100% gluten-free, you will need to ensure the miso paste you are using is gluten-free (as some are made with barley etc) and use a a gluten-free soy sauce or use tamari instead.
I served it with plain white medium grain rice & a crispy salad of mixed green lettuce leaves with finely shredded snow peas & shallots, with a tangy asian dressing (shredded fresh & pickled ginger, kikkoman soy, sesame oil, lemon juice, rice wine vinegar, some light oil, sugar & toasted sesame seeds) YUM – fresh, light & zesty!
So healthy & tasty! Going to be cooking this allll the time…